You may have come across this adage: “If you don’t stand for something, you will fall for anything.” In short, if you don’t know the purpose of your life, you’ll be forever chasing other people’s dreams, ambitions and purposes. Hint: meditate on Proverbs 19:21
Today I want us to look at our church’s Purpose and Vision. Our Purpose answers the question on WHY we exist. Our Vision is the direction of where we are going. It is the future picture of what is yet to come.
Our purpose – Session three in our Foundation Course 101 (on how to become a member), describes five reasons or purposes why we exist as a church. We exist to:
1. Love God – the heart of Worship (surrendering to God your whole heart, soul, mind, strength)
2. Love people – the heart of Ministry (use what God has given you to serve others)
3. Enjoy God’s family – the heart of Fellowship (growing the bond of love and unity in God’s family)
4. Mature in your relationship with Jesus – the heart of Discipleship (keep on growing as a follower of Christ)
5. Introduce people to Jesus – the heart of Evangelism (sharing and showing people what Jesus is like).
Believe it or not these five purposes are also the five purposes of your life. These are the same reasons why you are still alive today.
The above five purposes were given by Jesus before He went back to heaven. Being the Head of the Church as well as our Creator, we will live life to the full (see John 10:10b) by trusting and obeying Him.
The key scriptures behind our five purposes are from Matthew 22:37-39 and Matthew 28:19-20.
Our Vision – where are we going? What is the future picture of St James? Well, IMAGINE:………
• Having a congregation of 250 members two years from now? By March 2021
• Having 15 weekly small groups running well by the end of 2021
• Having 10 gifted, trained teachers leading our church (by the end of 2022)
• A Life Development Process for our children and youth by the end of 2022
• Every born-again believer in St James living a life based upon a new values system driven by habits of maturity (course 201), a
Christian worldview (course 201), a new lifestyle (course 201), a new relationship with the LORD. (course 201)
Now that might sound daunting until you remember how to best eat an elephant. Yes, one bite at a time. Where do we start? How about attending our Foundation Courses 101, 201 and 301?