The arrival of the promised Holy Spirit. He (Holy Spirit) certainly made His presence felt!
And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. (NKJV)
- A sound from heaven – the Holy Spirit is God coming to earth
- of a rushing mighty wind – not a tiny puff or blow but a powerful mighty wind. When the Holy Spirit moves you cannot miss His powerful presence / manifestations
- Pneuma – Greek for wind is also the word for Holy Spirit
- Filled the whole house – when you carry the presence of the Holy Spirit everyone in the one knows about it
- Luke 24:49 – the promised Holy Spirit
“Behold, I (Jesus) send the Promise of My Father upon you; but tarry in the city [a]of Jerusalem until you are endued with power from on high.” (NKJV)
Or from the NRSV,
“And see, I am sending upon you what my Father promised; so stay here in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high.” (NRSV)
- Acts 1:8
But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be [a]witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”
- Endued with power! Clothed with power! You shall receive power!
- Presence of the Holy Spirit = Power! You can’t miss Him/it! You can’t have the Holy Spirit with no one knowing about Him.
- 2Cor. 2:14,
Now thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us [a]diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in every place.
- We carry the fragrance of God everywhere we go. That’s the Holy Spirit in us!
- Purpose of the Power – and you will be my witnesses! (Acts 1:8)
- To witness Jesus Christ to others!
- A born-again believer, a Christian is not timid, is not weak, he/she is not a wimp, not a failure, not pushed under……NO! A born-again person is loaded with the power of the Holy Spirit to spread the Good News about Jesus!
- We are the most powerful people on earth! We really are because of ‘He who is within us’ (1John 4:4)
- So, brothers and sisters in Christ:
Stop living a defeated life and live victoriously (2Cor. 2:14) with the Holy Spirit whom you received when Jesus became your Lord and Saviour. (became born-again)
- The Power of the Holy Spirit separates a true Christian from a religious person.
- The former talks TO the Holy Spirit as his/her best Friend
- The latter talks ABOUT the Holy Spirit – only head knowledge because they don’t know the Holy Spirit personally.
- By the way,
When you witness, some will accept Jesus, but others will ridicule / mock you (vss 12&13)
- Never mind what they say and think of you.
- You keep your ears close to voice and guidance of the Holy Spirit.
- Remember He (Holy Spirit) will never let you down. Never! (see Psalm 55:22)
- Peter explained the speaking in tongues by quoting Joel 2:28-32
- God intended to pour out His Spirit upon all flesh! Upon all people!
- All people – better pray for your loved ones who are not Christians so the Holy Spirit ‘works’ on them until they encounter Jesus.
- Result – your sons and your daughters shall prophesy
- Your young men shall see visions
- Your old men shall dream dreams
- All these are the ‘doings’ of the Holy Spirit.
- Remember this verse when you pray for your unbelieving family members, friends, those you want to meet Jesus:
“And it shall come to pass that whoever calls upon the name of the LORD shall be saved.” (Joel 2:32)
Prayer: ‘Thank You Holy Spirit for blessing (you fill in the blank) to the point where she/he will call upon the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ!’
“Men of Israel, hear these words: Jesus of Nazareth, a Man attested by God to you by miracles, wonders, and signs which God did through Him in your midst, as you yourselves also know—
- You too born-again believer should be attested by God through God’s miracles, signs, wonders
- Jesus says this in John 14:12,
“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father.” (NKJV)
- Key is ‘ho who believes’ IN not About Jesus
- As Jesus did miracles, signs and wonders will you, the believer in Jesus.
- Must believe that Jesus is telling the truth!
- So ‘bet’ your life on Jesus’ promise!
“whom God raised up, having loosed the pains of death, because it was not possible that He should be held by it.” (vs. 24)
- Raised up – Jesus is alive! Talk to/with Him.
- As you talk to/with Jesus the Holy Spirit confirms everything you need to know.
- Why do life solo when the living Jesus, Christ, wants to help you through His Holy Spirit?
- Share your heart with Jesus/Holy Spirit not only when you have problems but all the time.
- How? So many different things you can tank Him for.
- Thanksgiving, Praising God – most powerful weapon against the devil and for a successful day!
- ‘Good morning Jesus, thank You for your blessings on this day!
- Thank You Jesus for my health, for my children, my warm bed, for my job, that I can breath, see, can walk, can think, etc’
- A life of thanksgiving is a victorious life!
This Jesus God has raised up (there it is again – a reminder that Jesus is alive!),
of which we are all witnesses.
33 Therefore being exalted to the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, He poured out this which you now see and hear.
- Jesus is now exalted. He has been exalted as the King of kings and LORD of lords!
- Jesus went back to heaven, the Holy Spirit was poured out, 2,000 years ago!
- By the way, the Holy Spirit is here FOR GOOD!
Verses 38-39 (NKJV)
Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the [k]remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
* Repent – change your thinking from self to Jesus
- To repent is to focus on Jesus rather than self: from self-centered to Jesus-centered!
- Promise – when you repent, shift your mind, have a new mindset that places Jesus on he top of your priority list: the Holy Spirit with His gifts FLOW, naturally!
- Flow easily!
- Flows every time you become Christ-centered.
Verse 39 (beyond the apostles…..all the way to today)
Cessationism – gifts of the Holy Spirit ‘ceased’ with the apostles.
But read this verse:
39 For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call.”
* you and your children
the Holy Spirit was given to them and their (listeners on the day) children
It’s already gone past the apostles. The Holy Spirit is poured out upon the listeners on the day who were not apostles.
to those who weren’t even in Jerusalem on the Day of Pentecost.
These ‘all who are far off’ can also include us today.
- as many as the Lord our God will call
God’s call is a call of repentance – for all to turn to Jesus
- God called everyone to repent from the Day of Pentecost to this very day!
- God called you and I into repentance – we met Jesus and have the Holy Spirit with His gifts!
- Acts 2:40-47 (Church’ exponential growth!)
41 Then those who gladly received his word were baptized; and that day about three thousand souls were added to them.
- People saw the power of the Holy Spirit (speaking in tongues – signs) and heard the proclamation of mighty God!
- They were cut to the heart – when the Holy Spirit moves, hearts will encounter the living God!
- Result – 3,000 souls / people were added to the church that day!
- 3,000 Souls – minds, wills & emotions focused upon Jesus!
- 42 And they continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers.
- And they continued steadfastly
(daily habit has been developed)
- in the apostles’ doctrine
(getting into the Word)
- and fellowship (rub shoulders with others Christians – no lone ranger in Christianity),
- in the breaking of bread
(having meals, share resources with your brothers and sisters in Christ)
- and in prayers
– corporate prayer meetings like that every Thursday night at 7pm!
- All of these were stirred and implanted by the presence of the Holy Spirit.
14 So they said, “Some say John the Baptist, some Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”
15 He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?”
16 Simon Peter answered and said, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
17 Jesus answered and said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven.
- Vs 16 – Peter operating in a word of knowledge
- Verse 17 – Jesus operating in a word of knowledge
A word of knowledge will be discussed when we get to 1 Cor. 12.
Both Peter and Jesus were given by the Holy Spirit both of these ‘words’ of knowledge!
18 And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.
- Jesus meant business – I WILL BUILD MY CHURCH!
- This was in Matthew – a prophetic word by Jesus
- How will this prophecy be fulfilled?
- By the gifts of the Holy Spirit upon believers in Christ!
- Jesus has been building His church ever since
- And the gates of hell will never stop the church of the Lord Jesus Christ!
That church is you and I, right now!
- How should we operate as a church?
- Binding and loosing! (Verse 19)
19 And I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth [h]will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.” (NKJV)
But the Greek literally says,
whatever you bind on earth will have been bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will have been bee loosed in heaven.
- Story of woman being delivered from witchcraft – demons cast out – and she was healed of extreme stomach pains, lack of breath, feelings of about to die – all gone!
- Solution: Know God’s Word so that you what and how to bind and loose!
- Bind the works of the enemy
- Loose the sickness, illness from the sick person
- Loose health by command: “Be healed in Jesus Name! Health flow in this body in Jesus’ Name!’
Many are needing help. You and I, born-again believers are loaded with the presence and power of the Holy Spirit. Let’s pass on the Good News of hope, healing, restoration to others especially those within the body of Christ.
The same Holy Spirit who arrived 2,000 years ago on the Day of Pentecost is with us right now with all His gifts available if we want them.
Like Jesus, the Holy Spirit is the same yesterday, today and forever!